DELTA 2015: MY IMMEDIATE GOAL IS TO REDUCE THE LEVEL OF POVERTY IN THE STATE.....PROF. IZEGBU

Professor Victor Izegbu
Professor Victor Izegbu is one of the PDP top contender to the Unity house, Asaba, he is a philanthropist who has contributed his quota at helping the youths in various areas of endeavor thereby alleviating poverty among Deltans through his foundation, Onochie Izegbu Foundation. This Asaba born professor is of the former Urological Surgery at the University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirate. In this interview with Delta Decides, he spoke on his plans for Deltans, why he is running under the platform of the peoples democratic party, PDP, and he equally bares his mind on the controversial issue of zoning.

Excerpts:


1.      MAY WE KNOW YOU SIR...?
My name is Victor Izegbu, I’m a former professor of the Urological surgery. I am from Asaba, Oshimilli south LG.

2. WHAT ARE THE POLICIES AND PROGRAMMES YOU INTEND TO PURSUE WHEN YOU ASSUME OFFICE...? .
Answer...I grew up in this county, i went to medical school here, i went to government college Ughelli, I worked here as a medical doctor for 3 years so i know this state very well and if you have lived abroad and worked abroad and return to the country you cannot but notice the level of poverty in our communities. Poverty is endemic like malaria, like typhoid, and we must fight it with all at our disposal.That is not right for an oil producing country and oil producing state. So my immediate goal is to reduce the level of poverty in the state and you cannot do that unless you empower people economically.There will have to be massive job creation and we have to have the right type of education for our people to fit into the new jobs that would be created, so that education and job creation will have to go hand -in –hand. The traditional tiers of education; primary, secondary, and university will go ahead but we will also have technical education to the highest level. We want technicians, carpenters, electricians who are trained to the highest international level same as painters that can do the jobs that would be created. I will build roads of the highest quality like roads in Europe and North America. How do we achieve that economic goal? I met with investment banks that none of my fellow aspirants have done. I convinced them to bring in money into our state. We will set-up a special committee that would jointly oversee the use of the investments with the Governor up to N 340b. per annum. The committee will be the Economic Transformation Committee, ETC. It will incorporate three business men from the 3 senatorial district, a business lawyer from out side the state, the governor, deputy governor, and commissioner for economic development. Each of the 25 LGs will have a medium to large size industries located by the private sector not government. Job creation will be based on industrialization. We will have textile mills, pharmaceutical industries, food processing industries, oil and gas, we ‘ll have low income tax economy in the state to attract investors. At least,a medium size industry will be at the LGs employing people. We will set-up a micro finance initiatives which is already at the the federal level but we will fine tune one for delta state and it will be monitored by the ETC. The monies from the investment banks will be used to build industries because to create jobs, you need to build industries.

3. WHY DO YOU CHOOSE TO RUN UNDER PDP PLATFORM..?
 Answer: When I was in London in the 80s. I was introduced to General Obasanjo. I met him when he was about to launch the African Leadership Forum in Otta, Ogun state. When I met Obasanjo, was quite surprised because he was down to earth. The leadership forum was supposed to train young Africans with setting up new ideas. I said this man I will follow him since he has bright ideas though he has his faults. That was how I started following General Obasanjo even when he became president who happens to be a PDP card carrying member. I want to change things in Delta state. I need power to change it. PDP is in power. People saw me coming home to contest they thought I was mad. I want to change the state, I need power to change it, to be able to have access to power, I need to work with PDP because it is the party in power. That's why I joined PDP.

4. THERE ARE CALLS BY THE ANIOMAS, DELTA NORTH SENATORIAL DISTRICT THAT POWER SHOULD BE GIVEN TO THEM WHILST THE URHOBOS ARE INSISTING THAT THERE IS NO ZONING, THAT ANY ONE IS QUALIFIED TO RUN..WHAT'S YOUR STAND ON THIS...?
Answer: Democracy in the Greek way, the American Way and the English way is different from the way we practice it in this country. There are issues of marginalization of people in every community. Those who are being marginalized want to fight for their rights. One thing about zoning system is that it gives people who are in minority the opportunity to participate in the electoral process. But in Delta state have we actually been practicing zoning? No! , is it entrenched in the law? No!. People from Delta north felt marginalized that they have not been given the opportunity to rule Delta state. It is a gentleman agreement but you cannot say there was zoning in the last governorship election because people from the North had participated. So it is either we come out to end it or we make it a law. I am not against zoning but I want it done in a proper way.

5. WHAT'S YOUR ADVICE TO DELTANS..?
Answer: I will improve on what the current Governor has done and we cannot forget to thank him for what he has done. However, Delta State needs fresh blood. Someone who has seen the world and knows how things are done in the more developed world and apply that experience to Delta State. Deltans should take a bold step though there is always the fear of the unknown. They have to trust me, they will never be disappointed. Let them have faith in me. Take a bold step to try somebody new like myself that will transform the state. I believe strongly and am passionate enough to transform Delta state

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you